Real Estate Closings
Real Estate Law and Closings
Did you know?
- The buyer of a home has the right to choose the closing attorney.
- Title insurance is a one-time premium paid at closing, and provides coverage for defects in title that arise despite a search of the public records.
- Lenders always require title insurance which protects only the lender. It is optional for purchasers but strongly recommended.
- Both spouse’s names must be on your deed with the words “as joint tenants with rights of survivorship” for your home to transfer to the surviving spouse outside of probate.
- The closing attorney collects all of the funds, makes disbursements and records the deed and lender’s security deed.